Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Kingsman and Ginger Cookies

...would be an accurate summation of my day. Which is to say, it was a pretty good day.

Between my morning and my afternoon class, Owl and I baked ginger cookies. Not just any ginger cookies, but the best ginger cookies I've ever had. They were full of cinnamon and cloves, and the recipe didn't call for allspice but that's because the recipe was a liar, so I added allspice. These cookies? They were incredible.

After my evening class, Owl and I went with Crow to see Kingsman: The Secret Service. This movie was about as silly and dumb and self-aware as they get and it was marvellous. Samuel L. Jackson was crazy, Mark Hamill was odd and nearly unrecognizable, Colin Firth was unnervingly badass, Mark Strong was delightful. It had Arthurian nicknames, shiny gadgets, and so many James Bond callbacks I'm astonished they didn't just throw Sean Connery in the background of every scene. It was exactly as silly as advertised and I appreciate that in a movie.

Exciting days, packed full of thrill and adventures and new, wonderful experiences that you will remember forever are wonderful. And productive days, where you get everything done on your to-do list and then start a new project, finally clean out your cupboard, and mow the neighbor's lawn just because you're on such a roll, those are great too. But sometimes, you just need days like today, where you can eat ginger cookies and watch dumb movies and look back on your day and still think, yeah, that rocked.

Friends, do yourselves a favor. Do something silly now and then. Bake cookies in the middle of the day just because you can. See a movie just because you know it will make you laugh. Play a terrible 80s board game with a large group of friends and make up your own rules. (I can recommend quite a few if need be.) Make finger puppets, have a water balloon fight, or name all of your bookshelves and give them name tags. I promise, you'll feel better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment