Monday, February 23, 2015

Ever meet a fella by the name of Hill?

Hi Owl,

Your blog post about musicals was wonderful, and it gave me a lot to think about. In fact, it gave me so much to think about that I wrote an entire blog post on a tangent, and did not address your questions, which I wanted to do. So sometime this week, you will get the tangent I wrote, but for now, let's talk some more about musicals!

I will be brief tonight, as I got so absorbed writing my tangent that it's 11:49 and I have 11 minutes to finish up before my deadline and also I need to sleep.

I also have a deep love of musicals, though my utter inability to carry a tune does come with a tad of resentment towards those who can. I think that musical numbers are equal parts silly and moving as a medium, and to me the best musical is one that straddles that line.

So, tonight (with my ten minutes left) seems like a list night.

Raven's Top 10 Musicals

1. Oliver! (The first play I ever auditioned for. Also I adore Fagin and all of his songs.)
2. The Fiddler on the Roof (Makes the Jewish historian in me happy. And also sad, because have you seen it?)
3. The Newsies
4. South Pacific
5. Spamalot!  (Because of course.)
6. Les Miserables
7. Rent
8. Wicked (Witches. Wizards. Talking animals. Duh?)
9. The Sound of Music (The first, and only, musical I sang in.)
10. The Music Man (This will always hold a special place in my heart since I was assistant stage manager for a middle school production of this.)

Ask me again tomorrow and I will certainly have changes to that list. I know I'm forgetting some major additions here! But I love a musical that can weave a good story, and so many of these can. And some of them are just plain fun.

Owl, I look forward to hearing more about your love of musicals soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment