Monday, February 16, 2015

Being A Nerd Makes For a Brief Post Tonight

Hey Raven,

Short update tonight for a few reasons. 1st reason - it's late and we both need to be in bed. 2nd reason - my last few posts have been quite long and I am starting to feel overly verbose (seriously just look at that sentence I just typed!) 3rd reason - we got a bunch of shiny new video games today and spent the evening playing those instead of doing this post. Which I do not regret. At all.

Because of the Mystery Illness you wrote about in the last post we haven't been able to play our go-to video games lately. FPS games are no friend to the Mystery Illness. So today was a day to resupply our house with games you can play without exacerbating the already difficult and mysterious ailment. Seems to have been quite a success, too.

A brief list of our new purchases:
- MarioKart
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance
- Diablo III
- a ton of DS games
- Final Fantasy XIII
- an Avatar the Last Airbender video game (blanking on the name now)

So a very successful shopping trip altogether. Then we had a house video game night. I will miss those when Crow moves away.

We also watched what is rapidly becoming one of my favorite new shows on television: Agent Carter. I wanted to make a brief list of the reasons I love the show to be expounded upon at a later date with an actual post.

A Few of My Favorite Things (About Agent Carter)

  • Superhero adjacent (I adore all things related to superheroes, especially in the Marvel-verse)
  • Excellent female protagonist (Peggy Carter was my absolute favorite part of the first Captain America movie)
  • Though there is strong foreshadowing for it, Carter remains (as of episode 6) unattached romantically - I don't think they'll keep that going and I won't hate it if they end up pairing her up, but I like that it isn't the point of the show
  • 1940s - I am a stupid sucker for the time period and I love what they're doing with everything from the music to the hairstyles to the costumes
  • Excellent supporting cast - including a superlative incarnation of Edwin Jarvis, Dum Dum Dugan, and Howard Stark
  • Enough realism (read: sexism) to make it realistic, but not enough to bum me out
  • Funny - I have trouble watching shows that don't make me laugh 
I'm sure I'll discover more reasons to love the show and I plan to make a post here when the first season wraps up. 2 more episodes to go.

Happy Monday - I look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment