Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Louder Than A Bomb

Happy Tuesday Raven!

I thought I'd continue on in the vein I began on Sunday - with the things that are important to me. This post expands on a love I have already explored a bit. Storytelling. This style of storytelling also brings together a few of my other loves: theater, poetry, education, social action, and viral online videos. Intrigued? Who wouldn't be? What is this mystery storytelling phenom, you ask? Spoken word.

I was first introduced to spoken word back in high school, but I didn't start sitting up and take notice until I saw the documentary Louder Than A Bomb at one of the first jobs I had after college. The documentary follows the lives of several high school students in Chicago public schools as they prepare for Louder Than A Bomb, a spoken word competition held annually in Chicago. After watching the video I sought out new, different, similar, and more spoken word poems. Youtube, as per usual, indulged me in my search. 

As with dance, I wanted to share some of my favorite poems here and talk a bit about them.

First up is one of my favorite poems from the movie that inspired my love.

"Look" written and performed by Nate Marshall

I love this poem written by Nate Marshall, a high school senior saying goodbye to his time on stage at LtaB. The early poem is all bluster and slam, but at 1:48 he flips the tone on us and turns nostalgic and caring. It's a well written, fun poem that shows the poet as he is to the world (confident, even cocky) then gives us a glimpse beyond the surface. It also shows some of the great aspects of spoken word. The early poem is funny, witty, joyful, and even a bit cocky, but after the flip we see some of the more serious aspects of the art form - introspection, respect, inclusion, and the power of the community the art form creates.

I strongly suggest checking out more of the talented artists from Louder than a Bomb. They all certainly have more unique and engaging voices than I can remember having in high school!

"What Teachers Make" written and performed by Taylor Mali

As someone who is going into the teaching field this poem is particularly special to me, but setting that aside I think this is a great example of the indignant, angry poem put to good use. But I think what makes this poem special is how eloquently it addresses a social situation that poet has clearly found himself in while incorporating the maxims and cliches on both sides of the debate about the importance of teachers. It uses that situation and those cliches to make its point in an accessible, interesting, and humorous way.

Mali is an expert on both teaching and indignant poems (check out Like Lily Like Wilson for teaching and I'll Fight You For the Library for indignation). He's also a clear English language nerd and book lover, which wins him some serious points in my book. If that sounds interesting to you, check out his other works.

"I Do" written and performed by Andrea Gibson (BEWARE THE NSFW LANGUAGE)

This poem and this poet rock my world. Andrea Gibson's poems are a perfect mix of funny and heart-wrenching. Over the course of her poems I will find myself laughing as often as I find myself tearing up - often right on top of each other. She is a bit more conventionally poetic than the previous two poets, but her performances are brilliant, incorporating music, storytelling, and spoken word. 

Obviously this poem is particularly important to me because I am in a woman in love with another woman (for those of you new to the blog or who didn't pick up on it earlier - SURPRISE I'M GAY-ish. It's a long story I'll get into on another blog post.) It's a social issue poem that hits just as hard as Mali's and just as close to home for me. Also, I'll be straight with you (it's funny cause I'm gay) I am a little bit in love with Andrea Gibson (sorry Raven!)

All of Shane Koyczan's Poems (More NSFW language)

I seriously can't choose. This man is brilliant and I love every poem I have ever heard him perform, but this TEDtalk is a good compilation of his personality, his poetry, and the kinds stories he tells. There's something infinitely childlike and yet completely adult about his observations and his conclusions. He is particularly eloquent on the subject of bullying. His story at 4:20 is one of my favorite ways to slyly stand up to a bully while not losing yourself to bullying yourself. Listen to his poems - there's something in them we can all relate to and his worldview is truly refreshing.

Watch his viral video about online bullying: Troll

I see spoken word as a great way to discover yourself, share that discovery with others, and help them discover themselves in the process. It uses everyday phrases and language in sometimes unexpected ways to grab our attention or turn our expectations on their head. It's accessible and often conversational - like a great comedy routine, a great lecture, and a great play all rolled into one.

I hope you find something in here you like, but if you don't let me know. I have a million more.

Raven - I will hear from you on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment