Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Enter the Raven

Well, Owl did a great job yesterday of setting everything up. The idea to start a blog is one that I have been playing around with for quite some time now. I have been searching for an outlet for all of the various thoughts, lists, plans, stories, etc. that have been rattling around in my brain, and reserving a quiet corner of the Internet where I could write whatever I wanted seemed like a great way to do this.

Owl and I were in the car one day when I mentioned my idea to write a blog post a day. She loved it, and immediately suggested that we both start blogging together to encourage one another. She brought up the vlogbrothers, whose Youtube channels she and several friends of ours introduced me to earlier in 2014, and suggested that we do something similar. Of course, one of the key elements that makes the vlogbrothers unique is that they communicate with one another through video as a form of keeping in contact while living in different states, whereas Owl and I live in the same room and see each other every day, so it's not quite the same concept, but it's close enough for horseshoes (to borrow a favorite phrase of my father's).

So. It's about a month later---we decided to give ourselves January off, as I was starting classes, Owl was going back to visit family, and we were already struggling to keep afoot of the new year. But, now it is February, and our challenge begins in earnest.

So, without further ado, I will respond to Owl's lists with some lists of my own.

10 Things About The Raven

1.) It is a poem by Edgar Allen Poe
2.) It is my favorite poem by Edgar Allen Poe
3.) Edgar Allen Poe is my favorite.
4.) I am a smartass and should probably take this list seriously.

Okay. Now that I have that out of my system, 10 REAL Things About The Raven, Yours Truly, and NOT The Raven, The Poem

1.) I am incredibly verbose in my writing. Why take a sentence to say something when I could say it in five? For example, see the title of this list. Also see: most of the below entries.

2.) When I was younger I wanted to be (among a myriad of other professions) an astronaut. Then I realized that I was claustrophobic, had intense vertigo, was prone to motion sickness, and had an innate distrust for traveling at high speeds in metal tubes, particularly in vacuums.

3.) Other childhood dream jobs include: snowboarder (I tried this once, on a hill down the street from my parents' house. We live in the Midwest. This dream was not well-founded in reality.), President, geologist, paleontologist, and Indiana Jones. I studied archaeology as an undergrad, so I came pretty close to one of those, I guess? I also wanted to be a rabbi for several years in middle and high school, but ultimately decided that my staunch atheism might complicate that slightly.

4.) I like collecting things. Over the years I have collected: rocks, coins, trading cards (Pokemon, mainly), Beanie Babies and other stuffed animals, Pogs, Crazy Bones, gel pens, and Tech Deck skateboards because I grew up in the 90s, Legos, dinosaur paraphernalia, zebra paraphernalia, dice, playing cards, mugs, and pocket knives.

5.) I like to cook and bake but I hate following recipes.

6.) I love cosplaying, LARPing, and anything else that lets me dress up in costume. My first cosplay was when my high school best friend convinced me to dress up as Sailor Uranus from Sailor Moon.

7.) I met Owl when she ran a tabletop roleplay game in college. I had been interested in RPGs for a long time and a friend finally convinced me to come along. Six years later and gaming and Owl have remained firm staples of my life.

8.) This may come as a shock but Owl and Raven aren't our real names. Our real names must be kept secret so as not to reveal the identities of our super hero alter egos, but since college I have held the nickname of my favorite ever science fiction TV character with pride. Guess who and you get an Internet cookie.

9.) Ginger and lime are two of my very favorite things in the world. It is my firm belief that almost any food or drink could be improved with clever application of one, the other, or both.

10.) I love learning about different types of weapons and armor throughout history (and in science fiction and fantasy settings). I also enjoy most forms of martial arts, and any sport involving a sword. I fenced for a few years in high school and college, and I am part of a group that does 12th century Norman combat reenactment.

10 Video Games That Have Had a Profound Impact on Me

1.) Earthbound (my all-time favorite game)
2.) Pokemon Yellow
3.) Portal
4.) The Mass Effect Series
5.) Gone Home
6.) The Walking Dead (Telltale)
7.) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
8.) The Longest Journey
9.) Home
10.) Age of Empires

I really like lists, but mine are already running a bit long, and also Owl just got home and I should go say hi.

So. Owl. I will see you right now, and also tomorrow.

-Raven

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, Pogs! Crazy bones! I totally forgot about those! I wonder if I still have some of those somewhere...

    ReplyDelete